For over 35 years Smits Group has serviced the New Zealand automotive refinish, automotive aftermarket and hardware industries, focusing strongly on leading brands and customer service.
Founded in 1976 by Lyndsay Smits and currently run by Lyndsay and Darlene Smits, Smits Group Ltd is the holding company for a group of separate companies and international brands, providing solutions and services in Automotive, Fleet, Industrial, Marine and Retail markets.
Our customers can be assured that our products are sourced with vigilance for their quality and high performance. Leading brands from the world over make up a product mix which solves the daily needs of professional tradesman and DIY users.
We look after our customers in every aspect to ensure that the relationship continues to be mutually beneficial. We do so by consistently providing products that meet or exceed their expectations, offering competitive pricing, and providing ongoing marketing & technical support and training.
Smits Group is a growing company which looks beyond the “now” and constantly looks to the future for potential development and innovation. The advantages of our ability to think two steps ahead are passed onto our customers and together our partnerships and businesses grow stronger.
GPI Automotive (NZ) Ltd
Importer and wholesaler of automotive refinish consumables, consumer products and light equipment, distributing to resellers and retail chains throughout New Zealand. GPI is the exclusive New Zealand importer of Meguiar’s, House of Kolor, Anest Iwata, Gerson, Roberlo, Automask Septone, Chic, Little Tree and many more.
LJ Smits Ltd
The founding company and New Zealand’s largest distributor of automotive panel & paint supplies. LJ Smits Ltd is the sole importer of Spies Hecker Automotive Paint in New Zealand, distributed throughout New Zealand and supported by dedicated distribution.
Smits Group Pty (Australia)
In January 2011 Smits Group Pty was formed, same time when Rislone was officially launched in Australia, providing solutions with America's Best Selling Engine Treatment to common problems Australians have with their engines.
Industrial Paint Solutions (Lechler)
Importer and distributor of Lechler industrial, fleet and automotive paint products distributed throughout New Zealand and supported by dedicated distribution.
Industrial Paint Solutions (Chemspec)
Importer and distributor of Chemspec industrial, fleet and automotive paint products distributed throughout New Zealand and supported by dedicated distribution.
Auto Refinish Training Centre
A world class training centre that is one of the best facilities of its kind. Designed and purpose-built to support the companies and products represented by the Smits Group.
Smits Group is excited to announce that as of 1st of April 2012, Spraystore Christchurch Ltd became a part of the Smits Group tree of companies. Read More Here
Spraystore Ltdhas rapidly grown to become one of the major suppliers to the automotive refinish trade throughout the majority of the south island. Providing technical support for our customers we have our full time technical support person in the field problem solving, training as well as product demonstrations.
The Smits Group companies above are facilitated at the Smits Group Head Office in Auckland, New Zealand and are owned and operated by Lyndsay and Darlene Smits with the support of 30 staff.
Smits Group has announced the purchase of Coating Supplies, Invercargill. Andy Gough continues as General Manager operating out of the existing premises with existing staff. Additional stock and resources will be added to the company allowing it to become the TradeSaver delivery point for customers in the lower South Island.
Over the years, Smits Group and its various companies have been recognized for excellence with multiple awards from all around the world. These include:
- Aftermarket Industry Awards - Best Support of the V8 Industry by a Company 2012
- Supercheap Auto Most Improved Trade Partner 2011
- Supercheap Auto Outstanding Trade Partner 2011
- Supercheap Auto Most Innovative Product Launch 2011
- Supercheap Auto "Most Consistent High Performing Trade Partner" in 2010
- Meguiar’s 2009 Winner: Excellence in Pillar 4 – Advertising and PR – Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Meguiar’s 2008 International Spectacular Growth Award – Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Du Pont Performance Coatings 2008 Marketing Excellence Award
- Meguiar’s 2006 International Spectacular Growth Award – Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Meguiar’s 2005 International Spectacular Growth Award – Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Meguiar’s 2004 International Spectacular Growth Award – Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Meguiar’s 2003 International Spectacular Growth Award – Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Spies Hecker 2002-2003 Achievement Award in recognition and appreciation of outstanding sales growth of Spies Hecker products in Australia and New Zealand – Gold Award
- Meguiar’s 2002 International Spectacular Growth Award: For Excellence in Building the Meguiar’s Brand - Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Meguiar’s 2002 International Spectacular Growth Award – Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Meguiar’s 2001 International Spectacular Growth Award: For Excellence in Building the Meguiar’s Brand – Meguiar’s New Zealand
- Spies Hecker Training Center Trophy Winner of the year: 2001 New Zealand, Auckland
- Spies Hecker 2001 Excellence Award – In Special Consideration for Outstanding Achievement and Business Performance
- New Zealand National Motor Show Hamilton City – Best Trade Display 2nd Place
- Classic & Collectable Motor Show “Best Trade Display” 1999
- Boma Award: Excellence In Property, Investment and Development 1994 in the category Industrial Properties